Social Audit Program at Gamcha, Kirtipur Municipality, Kathmandu
Lumanti Support Group for Shelter in partnership with Asian Coalition for Housing Rights (ACHR) and ward no 4 Kirtipur Municipality conducted the social audit of "Community Driven Heritage Conservation in Kirtipur Municipality" project on 14th October 2023. The program was organized to share the accomplishment of the project, its activities, achievements and lessons learnt with the various stakeholders and ward. The financial aspect of the project was also shared in order to maintain the transparency and accountability of the project.
Various key stakeholders of the project including the community members, Gamcha Area Tole Sudhar Upahokta Samiti (user committee), ward official, Sunaulo Women Cooperative Ltd. and stakeholders attended the program.
Chief Guest Dinesh Chandra Dahal, acting ward chairperson, ward no. 4, Kirtipur Municipality appreciate the project and contribution of the community members. He highlighted infrastructure project changed the face of Gamcha. He added the ward will support on the development of Gamcha.
Sushan Maharjan, Chairperson of Gamcha Area Tole Sudhar Upahokta Samiti (user committee) welcomed all the participants and guests. He appreciated the contribution of all the community members of Gamcha for the support and successful completion of the infrastructure project. Rati Maharjan, Chairperson, Sunaulo Women Cooperative Ltd. thanked ward, Lumanti and all the community members for the execution of small-scale infrastructure project. She recalled Lumanti's support for the establishment of cooperative. Dikson Maharjan, member of Gamcha Area Tole Sudhar Upahokta Samiti (user committee) shared the financial details of infrastructure of the project including the public contribution and support from Lumanti.
Basundhara Maharjan, Coordinator, Lumanti Support Group for Shelter shared about the project including the heritage conservation. She highlighted the joint effort of Lumanti and Sunaulo Women Cooperative Ltd. including ward and stakeholders for the implementation and completion of project.
The key objectives of the project are as follows:
1. Facilitate and strengthen community led processes for heritage conservation
2. Link with the local government for local policy support and leveraging resources for conserving community heritage.
3. Execution of small-scale infrastructure project
During the project, the mapping was conducted to identify the specific areas as to improve the community infrastructure and open space management. The community planned and implemented some small-scale rehabilitation projects within their settlement, which brought the community together into an active and united force.
Gamcha Area Tole Sudhar Upahokta Samiti support for the execution of small-scale infrastructure project. The user committee coordinate ward and stakeholders in order to monitor the infrastructure construction and provide support to each other.
The Key Outputs of the project is the infrastructure works in Mathilo Gamcha and Tala Gamcha which were prioritized by the community themselves and important in heritage conservation aspects.
The list of projects completed are:
• Stone pavement at northern side of Bishnudevi temple in front of pati and brick pavement in the open space
• Drainage management at the southern side of the temple and stone pavement
• Fencing at the eastern side of Bishnudevi temple
• Levelling and stone pavement in front of Kumari Temple and drainage management
• Brick pavement at the both side of the street (2'6" at each side) of Tala Gamcha starting after Nasa Dya area.
• Relocation of Nasa Dya- Reconstruction of Nasa Dya Shrine and pavement in its premises
The project time was from July 2023 to end of September 2023.